Widowsweave

Widowsweave is an awareness raising series of performances highlighting the conditions of Iraqi Widows who often struggle to acquire even basic necessities such as clean water or adequate shelter. Through artistic durational activities the artist and public participants mark 3,000,000 lines representing the number of Iraqi widows from 30 years of war, tyranny and sanctions.

News

Kevin Valentine will have three new pieces in the Faculty Show at North Central College, Naperville. The reception is April 8th, from 6-8



Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Interactive ideas



I want to use Max and/or other kits to make interactive sound/video interfaces. This would be in conjunction with my cabinet series, including the war cabinets and others. I want to try to figure out how to activate the sounds/ video upon opening or reaching a certain proximity threshold. Also the playback could change in volume/speed or change entirely (to another clip) as the viewer approached. Including this in artists books is one definite project for me, and hopefully soon.

I have spent a good amount of time online and at radioshack, looking for a "audio card kit" and the like. So far I have found a slip-to-activate chip for $3, but it will only play about 200 times, and the batteries are not replaceable. In particular, I want to put a chip in my Widows book, so that when the book is open, the reader hears the sound of chalk from my performance.

I need to figure out how to have multiple sounds and maybe video installed in a small box or cabinet, so that it will relate to my multimedia cabinet pieces. When a cabinet drawer is opened, a video will play. Another drawer, containing a book or a set of etchings will play a song or spoken text. Text could be in conjunction with audio track of sound/music controlled by proximity or pressure, depending upon the content.

No comments:

Post a Comment