Widowsweave

Widowsweave is an awareness raising series of performances highlighting the conditions of Iraqi Widows who often struggle to acquire even basic necessities such as clean water or adequate shelter. Through artistic durational activities the artist and public participants mark 3,000,000 lines representing the number of Iraqi widows from 30 years of war, tyranny and sanctions.

News

Kevin Valentine will have three new pieces in the Faculty Show at North Central College, Naperville. The reception is April 8th, from 6-8



Monday, February 8, 2010

Residue of Lines Past - 31st St. - Day 23

I decided to try to make a different statement today, and began to spell out widows on a large scale using the hatchmarks to create large letters.  I was marking the W in widows when I realized that I was surrounded by a field of marks I'd made on my previous visit on January 28th.  I drew on the other side of the beach instead.  I did a twenty foot letter W, and then wrote: 3,000,000 Iraqi Widows at the bottom.

 
4,010 lines
 
Old Lines / New Lines
When I was leaving, I actually saw a few lines left from that frozen ice storm day - January 21st, eighteen days ago in the snow and ice.  It is kind of haunting and powerful to think that something like a line in the sand can last through rain, snow, thaw and wind.
Old lines and double lines
 
Lake ice on grassy hill

No comments:

Post a Comment