Widowsweave

Widowsweave is an awareness raising series of performances highlighting the conditions of Iraqi Widows who often struggle to acquire even basic necessities such as clean water or adequate shelter. Through artistic durational activities the artist and public participants mark 3,000,000 lines representing the number of Iraqi widows from 30 years of war, tyranny and sanctions.

News

Kevin Valentine will have three new pieces in the Faculty Show at North Central College, Naperville. The reception is April 8th, from 6-8



Monday, June 8, 2009

New Ideas Flowing

I've been looking at Felix Gonzales-Torres and at Relational Aesthetics. Gonzales-Torres had a few pieces at the new Modern Art wing of the Art Institute of Chicago when we visited last Thursday. His "Untitled" (Portrait of Ross in L.A.) 1991 so beautifully captures the type of elegy I am seeking to create. I would like to use the art to move past loss to a place where healing can begin. As in my song, Generation Unintended, "This is where the healing begins."

Other sweeping thoughts:

ALOTT as a name for an online not-for-profit web presence to manage my new pieces
A Leaf Of The Tree as in "The leaves of the trees are for the healing of the nations"

I picture the tally marks commemorating the survival of the Widows on Iraq being joined by the circles to represent healing in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and Leaves for a more blanket cause. More on this later.

ConsciousV is my web name and also to be my name as a musician/songwriter.
BirdDenOftRuth remains my publishing name.

No comments:

Post a Comment