Widowsweave

Widowsweave is an awareness raising series of performances highlighting the conditions of Iraqi Widows who often struggle to acquire even basic necessities such as clean water or adequate shelter. Through artistic durational activities the artist and public participants mark 3,000,000 lines representing the number of Iraqi widows from 30 years of war, tyranny and sanctions.

News

Kevin Valentine will have three new pieces in the Faculty Show at North Central College, Naperville. The reception is April 8th, from 6-8



Thursday, June 11, 2009

Widows - Take 4

Finished my chalkboard today, and filmed an all-white chalk of blackboard version which was still moving for me, even this 4th time. I performed in 207, against a brick wall, using one of the department's new Sony HDV cameras. A filter setting was either left on, or accidentally set with a large toggle button on the outside of the camera! The entire performance is overlaid with a grain, making it useless (unless I can think of something). I then filmed the erasing, and spent more of the evening trying to clean the board.

Every time I perform, I lose count in some way and have to try to figure out how to come up with the right number. this time I did one, then ten, then thirty (total) then one hundred ten. It was supposed to be one hundred, but losing track I did thirty-plus-eighty. Then I went ahead and did twelve times the twelve pack, so I should have 254 in each quadrant, or over three million squares. Usually I go under do to breakage, falling chalk etc. Statistics are so general. Did I blog this already today? I'm definitely having deja-vu.

No comments:

Post a Comment