Widowsweave

Widowsweave is an awareness raising series of performances highlighting the conditions of Iraqi Widows who often struggle to acquire even basic necessities such as clean water or adequate shelter. Through artistic durational activities the artist and public participants mark 3,000,000 lines representing the number of Iraqi widows from 30 years of war, tyranny and sanctions.

News

Kevin Valentine will have three new pieces in the Faculty Show at North Central College, Naperville. The reception is April 8th, from 6-8



Thursday, June 11, 2009

Widows IV


I completed my portable chalkboard, and brought it down to Columbia. I filmed the piece in the room with a larger field of vision, and this time all in white chalk on a black board, as opposed to some colored chalk on green board. I always get meditative when doing this piece. Something about the rhythm, the counting, my silence with the chalk speaking for me.

Every time I do this, the numbers change. I am still seeking 2000 x 1500 lines to create the symbolic Three Million squares, but It never comes out exactly the same. I thought that I was short about a third the first time I tried, though that was supposed to be a demo. The third time, I may have done way too many lines, but I'm not sure. This time I know that I was a little over. It is a moving analogy for me, knowing that when one makes a statistical claim that something happened to three million people, one is talking in generalizations. Plus or minus ten percent means three-hundred thousand unaccounted-for lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment