Widowsweave

Widowsweave is an awareness raising series of performances highlighting the conditions of Iraqi Widows who often struggle to acquire even basic necessities such as clean water or adequate shelter. Through artistic durational activities the artist and public participants mark 3,000,000 lines representing the number of Iraqi widows from 30 years of war, tyranny and sanctions.

News

Kevin Valentine will have three new pieces in the Faculty Show at North Central College, Naperville. The reception is April 8th, from 6-8



Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Lines in the Sand: 20th Anniversary of Gulf War on MLK Day

Alyssa and I went out on North Montrose Beach in the freezing rain as drew 2000 lines in the sand for the 20th anniversary of the Gulf War.  After a year and a half of performances, and such a long gap since my last performance, I found that I was thinking more about the project and its efficacy as activism and art than about the widows themselves.  I think that I need to keep with my vision of engaging community in this project or it will become just a counting exercise.
2000 lines
 Ice formations
 January 17th Commemoration
 Lines in sand-on-snow-on-sand
 Like sentinals

No comments:

Post a Comment